Wednesday 14 September 2011

Yoga Clothing - What to wear or not

I guess owning a clothing website, selling clothes for yoga, pilates, casual comfortable clothing, you can imagine that I have been checking- you -out while you are in your downward dog.... aha! Yes I have. That observation led me to the where I am now.

What people wear to yoga.... well I recall my first early memory of yoga, is my Mother.. Her name is Sylvia. She is currently 75, or maybe 76, actually I think she is 77. She practices yoga everyday, every morning she has a roll around on the lounge floor. Sylvia has a scoliosis of the spine, and if she hadn't done those "weird things" since she was about 35, she would be a crippled old lady. Instead she now is more flexible then you or I and keeps up with her grandchildren, and yes survived 50 odd years of marriage. But what I remember is that in the early days, when I was about 8, was what she wore....... brown foot- less tights, under a flowery leotard, and a head -band!! Bring on 1977...

Lets zoom forward to 2011.... Sydney Australia, The World - and yes if it hadn't been for Lululemon, and their amazing marketing campaigns captivating millions of wannabe yogis, then there would be alot more un-happy twisted frumby people out there. At last fashion sense!!! There was an article this week in the US papers about Gap and Nike wanting to get a foot in the door on Lulu's Community Marketing Spirit. Why the hell not, I certainly do too! They have lovely clothes, they are re-known for that, AND that they are EXPENSIVE!!!! They NEVER have sales, just a rack occasionally, not advertised. I've only been "live" 8 weeks, and already had a sale! ( better check out the website then hey? www.yogagear.net.au)

So I have prAna on the website, and Yogalicious. PrAna is a US Brand, and they are a sustainable company, use all the right ways to make things happen with out too much impact .95% of their goodies are therefore made in the US or Cambodia. Yogalicious is local Sydney brand designed by Evangeline Yeun. Her clothing is made funky, comfortable, affordable, and made in Australia. ( I will write more about both brands at a later post). Both are fantastic quality, and you get what you pay for. And, not China mass production here- thank you :))

Today I went to a group personal training session, and one of the girls was showing me, her latest purchase - Target have bought out a clothing sports line, wicker fabric etc. Her pants cost AUD$30 (cringe). I'm going to keep check on her to see how long they last. Personally I would rather spend double, know I have  a product that is going to last, looks great, makes me feel like the exercise is doing something, and I've enjoyed the shopping experience. That to me is part of shopping. And that is no disrepect to anyone, because I know that some people just can't afford to make purchases of a certain amount, or would rather spend their money else where. No baggy knees, or slipping gussets please.

So to finish, back to the yoga studio............ there is a chap that goes to the same class as I occasionally. He is about 40, and been around the place for about 15 years. He use to be the stocky ( keeping it polite!) barman in a bar. So, he's in the yoga class, and he is wearing tie-dyed  speedos- that's it! Now its hot yoga practice  but not Bikarams. Thank goodness, through his conscientiousness  practice over the years, his diet and devotion has paid off. He's lookin pretty good, but way to much information there in that aeroplane asana! Way too distracting.

Until next time, I wish you well, and please don't forget LIKE the Facebook page for news and sales...........sales that happen often!

Jo

1 comment: